Department: Education and Training
Last Revision: August 2019
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Summer Intensive Assistant will provide administrative support to the ABT Summer Intensive Director and facilitate the day-to-day operations of the Summer Intensive Program and Education Department. The Assistant will act as a resource/liaison between faculty, parents, students across the Education & Training Department. The Assistant position requires a high level of professionalism, good instincts, confidentiality, positive energy, and a can-do attitude. Excellent written, interpersonal, problem-solving, and organizational skills are required.
Daily Operations/Departmental Tasks
- Assist the Summer Intensive Director in organizing and planning all aspects of ABT’s 30+ city Summer Intensive audition tour
- Work with ABT’s administrative and artistic staff to support ABT’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts to increase diversity among students who enroll in ABT’s Summer Intensive programming
- Maintain audition tour databases and all paperwork for ABT’s New York, Collegiate and satellite Summer Intensive and Young Dancer programs
- Serve as first point of contact for student, parent, or dance school calls, mail and e-mails regarding information about pre-registration, auditions, registration and general Summer Intensive program questions
- Data processing of all students (4,500+) on the national audition tour and their audition results, merge results and generate notification emails to students
- Monitor and process payments and maintain enrollment spread sheets for approximately 1,400 enrolled students
- Assemble and distribute student handbooks, evaluations, and housing information to enrolled students
- Monitor students in the National Training Scholar program and report their progress to the Summer Intensive Director and Artistic Director
- Generate payment reports for enrolled students
- Provide general administrative assistance during the Collegiate and New York Summer Intensives and Young Dancer Summer Workshop, including creating weekly schedules, taking attendance, monitoring counselors and studios and managing the backstage area during studio rehearsals, tech rehearsals, and the final performance
Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Extremely organized, attentive to detail, and able to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be available to work evening and weekend hours when required.
- Excellent writing skills, telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Must be an adept problem solver and multi-tasker.
- Collaborative team player – energetic, enthusiastic, positive and personable – with the ability to build relationships with all stakeholders including staff, ED contacts, external partners and donors.
- Proven ability to interact clearly and effectively with a broad range of people.
- Understanding the customer service environment this role functions in, ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and diplomacy is critical.
- A passion for and knowledge of ballet and/or the performing arts is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree is required with and 1-2 years of professional experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Office.
- Experience with Education Edge, highly desirable.
- Previous administrative and communications experience with substantive responsibility preferred.
- Basic technology and business skills a plus.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Director, Pre-Professional Division, ABT JKO School
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Summer Intensive Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls or recruiters, please. We apologize in advance that we can only contact those candidates moving forward in the search.
American Ballet Theatre offers medical, dental, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to ABT performances and events, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
American Ballet Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed.