Classification: Counselor, Summer Intensive
Department: Education and Training
Last Revision: February 2020
This is a unique opportunity to join one of the world’s preeminent performing arts institutions at a time of artistic ambition and energetic growth. The individual in the Summer Intensive Counselor position will serve as integral part of the Summer Intensive program by creating a safe and supportive environment for students and acting as a resource to help students thrive in and out of the studios.
The mission of American Ballet Theatre is to create, to present, to preserve, and to extend the great repertoire of classical dancing, through exciting performances and educational programming of the highest quality, presented to the widest possible audience.
ABT’S Summer Intensive Program
American Ballet Theatre’s Summer Intensive has earned a reputation for being the most thorough and rewarding dance experience a student can have during the summer. Under the supervision of ABT’s Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie and Artistic Director of Summer Intensives Kate Lydon, the program offers top quality teachers and master guest teachers that are dedicated to the learning process and growth of each individual student. The ABT Summer Intensive focuses on developing well-rounded dancers through exposure to a wide variety of disciplines with an emphasis on classical ballet technique and key elements of ABT’s National Training Curriculum.
American Ballet Theatre is seeking resident counselors for the Orange County Summer Intensive Program. Counselors will reside on the University of California, Irvine campus and supervise young male and female dancers ages 12-18 from July 18 – August 8, 2020. Counselors will be on duty for the entire duration of the program. Responsibilities include:
- Enforcing dormitory rules and curfews.
- Planning and organizing dorm activities (e.g. movie and game nights).
- Accompanying students to and from the studios and cafeteria and on off-site weekend trips.
- Assisting in the Summer Intensive office (e.g. posting weekly schedules; escorting students to medical appointments; arrangements for the final performance).
- Maintaining a positive and supportive environment for Summer Intensive students.
- Communicating with parents, students, and faculty regarding Summer Intensive schedules, student attendance and final performance information.
- Acting as an on-site chaperone to report any physical or psychological issues or problems that arise with the student body.
- Monitoring dancers’ conduct and behavior and reporting any problems or concerns to the Summer Intensive Office.
- Working closely with Production staff to ensure a smooth dress rehearsal and performance at the end of the program.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Seeking highly motivated college students (who have completed one year of college or be at least 19 years of age), recent college graduates, or equivalent.
- Previous chaperone and counselor experience and/or work with teenagers, dancers, and education programs are preferred.
- Counselors must reside on the University of California, Irvine campus for the duration of the position from Saturday, July 18, 2020 to Saturday, August 8, 2020.
- Counselors must provide their own means of transportation to and from the UC Irvine campus.
- Counselors are expected to be on duty at all times, and there will be only limited time off available.
- Due to a high percentage of international students, proficiency in multiple language is a plus.
Compensation: Counselors will receive room and board consisting of a single room, three meals a day, and a stipend of $1200.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Associate Director of Summer Intensives
Applications and Inquiries: Applications are due by Wednesday, April 15, 2020. Please send application and resume to Naomi Gewanter, at [email protected] or to American Ballet Theatre, 890 Broadway, 3rd Floor, 10003, Attn: Naomi Gewanter.
No phone calls, please. We apologize in advance that we can only contact those candidates moving forward in the search.
American Ballet Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed.
California Counselor Application