Department: Education & Training
Last Revision: September 2021
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Student Life Coordinator is a full-time position responsible for creating and managing Student Life activities outside of the dance studio and develop programs associated with our ABT RISE initiatives. This position reports to and assists the Dean of Faculty & Student Affairs and Co-Director of ABT Education in overseeing the strategic growth of the Education Department’s programming while driving communication of department initiatives collaboratively internally, externally and across the organization. This position manages all aspects of student life for the School and ABT Studio Company to ensure all students receive the necessary guidance and mentorship to thrive inside and outside of the Studio.
The Student Life Coordinator will have a warm collaborative nature, positive energy, sense of humor, possess superior organization and prioritization skills and is self-motivated in the completion of his/her work. She/he will have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including outstanding writing and public speaking skills and the ability to interact comfortably with a variety of people. This person will have a genuine empathy and an awareness of the needs and sensitivities of students, parents, and School faculty and staff.
Student Life Coordinator Job Responsibilities:
- Edit, coordinate and maintain all administration for the department
- Organize and maintain office and electronic and hard copy filing system
- Schedule and prepare agendas for meetings with staff, faculty, parents, students, new families and new contacts
- Coordinate communication between Dean & Co-Director and staff, faculty, parents and students
- Any other administrative or coordinating responsibility as deemed necessary
- Manages the planning and execution of the JKO wellness lecture series, town halls for parents, and housing and tutoring needs
- Ensures proper tracking of Student Diversity Metrix and Benchmarks for JKO, Studio Company and Summer Intensives
- Builds upon current Mentorship Program with ABT Dancers and students
- Serves as resource for Resident Assistants to create and sustain a safe, healthy, and supportive environment for the students in the dorms
- Serves as liaison with physical therapist, mental health specialist, and nutritionist to discuss and track student issues and oversees smooth running of Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Will serve as the Student and Exchange Visitor Information SystemSEVIS Designated School Official DSO for JKO School for Student Visas
- Provides direct support for current and prospective students seeking housing and academic schools in the New York City area including researching new housing and school options for incoming students
- Coordinates, tracks and monitors/ manages housing for all JKO Pre-Professional students/ Studio Company dancers and acts as the ABT liaison with residential institutions and chaperones, including host families, and dormitories
- Establishes and fosters relationships with tri-state area public and private academic schools and coordinates with student guardians and local schools when early dismissal is necessary
- Supports the JKO student body in all academic needs including scheduling, tutoring, online classes, and proctoring academic examinations. In particular, coordinates weekly tutoring sessions for ESL and academic subjects
- Schedules monthly feedback sessions for students in the Pre-Professional Division
- Participates in and takes notes at student/ parent meetings
ABT RISE (Representation and Inclusion Sustain Excellence)
ABT RISE is built upon the efforts of the generous and dedicated champions who did groundbreaking work to launch Project Plié in 2013, which was ABT’s industry-leading initiative to advance diversity in the training pipeline for ballet students, teachers, and administrative interns.
- Coordinate all ABT RISE recruitment efforts for the ABT JKO School and Summer Intensive
- Collaboratively with Managing Education Director and Dean & Co-Director act as liaison with ABT’s Development staff, Press and Public Relations, as well as Education staff in the ABT JKO School, Summer Intensive, NTC and Outreach.
- Maintain reports on participation and enrollment in all ABT RISE programs.
- Development of marketing materials to present ABT RISE, its service, and its programming to our partners and current and potential donors. Marketing tools may include the RISE e-newsletters, PowerPoint presentations, flyers, programs, and informational brochures.
- Maintain related expense budgets, program actuals, and numbers
- Must work collaboratively with all administrative and artistic staff
- Must be committed to serving the institutional efforts of American Ballet Theatre and to furthering its educational and artistic mission through its training programs
- Management experience in student life in an educational setting
- Ability to work effectively with a streamlined staff and resources
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Low-ego, hands on, results-driven leadership style with down-to-earth, collaborative, “roll-up-your-sleeves” personality, who can rally others to take the initiative in their areas of expertise
- Ability to attend to multiple administrative matters simultaneously
- Ability to work collegially across departments and across the organization
- Periodic weekend and evening hours
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Managing Director, Education and the Dean of Faculty & Students and Co-Director of Education
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Student Life Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. We apologize in advance that we can only contact those candidates moving forward in the search.
American Ballet Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed.