Last Revision: July 2019
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Database Manager maintains and manages American Ballet Theatre’s Development database system on Raiser’s Edge. This position also helps staff best utilize the database in support of department-wide goals and functions. The Database Manager’s primary responsibilities include, but are not restricted to: the maintenance, management and integrity of the database; developing new functionality and business rules to enhance the use of the donor data; large data imports; the production of all financial reporting for the Development department; oversight of the processing of gifts and creation of donor lists; and, training new Raiser’s Edge users.
Database Maintenance, Management, & Integrity
- Oversee all aspects of the Raiser’s Edge database for overall credibility and maintenance.
- Assess, document, and supervise gift entry and cash handling processes.
- Import bulk external data using Import-O-Matic including patron, donor, and education lists.
- Create Import-O-Matic templates and write custom Crystal Reports as necessary.
- Create advanced queries and exports related to all fundraising activities including membership, direct mail appeals, event invitations, telefunding campaigns, and pull major data lists (telefunding, telemarketing, Playbill, etc.).
- Serve on a cross-departmental team that will recommend technical solutions for a new, integrated CRM system. The Database Manager, along with this team, will lead the subsequent system implementation that will unify all ABT departments and recommend and implement related internal procedures to improve efficiency in this realm.
- Direct and manage the Membership Associate regarding data entry and proofreading of donor Playbill
- Develop and update training information for database operations.
- Train all Development staff and lead monthly RE user group meetings to create an ABT Data Dictionary and data protocols.
- Establish Development fiscal year coding to communicate with Finance’s accounting structure.
- Post all gifts to Financial Edge.
- Produce weekly and monthly reports on Development income, as well as other ad hoc reports and analysis.
- Reconcile monthly contributed income with the Finance department.
- Assist Finance with annual audit.
- Process and batch gifts and online transactions when necessary.
- Participate in Special Events as a representative of the Development team, as necessary.
- Fulfill other tasks assigned by the Director of Membership.
The ideal candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years of professional database experience.
- Expertise in Raiser’s Edge or similar donor database.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of Crystal Reports and Import-O-Matic, preferred.
- Highly developed understanding of database operations; expertise in queries, importing/exporting and reporting functions.
- Problem-solver and strategic thinker with the ability to organize, streamline, and implement processes and procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an exceptional capacity for detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks to meet assigned deadlines.
- Ability to work collegially across departments and across the organization.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Energetic, proactive, optimistic, collaborative, “roll-up-your-sleeves” approach to work.
- Knowledge of general fundraising principles, including the solicitation of corporate, foundation, and government grants.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Director of Membership
To Apply: Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Database Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls or recruiters, please. We apologize in advance that we can only contact those candidates moving forward in the search.
American Ballet Theatre offers medical, dental, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to ABT performances and events, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
American Ballet Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed.