Auditions for the main Company of American Ballet Theatre are by invitation only.
The following materials are required to audition:
- Video: The video should have no introduction or fancy editing, consisting of the following performed in leotard and tights for women and tight-fitting dance attire for men:
- A short classical variation drawn from the standard repertoire, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants. Please do not wear anything that obscures your leg line.
- A short contemporary variation (that could consist of something drawn from repertoire, phrases from classwork, or an applicant-created work) that illustrates the applicant’s command of a range of movement different from that demonstrated in the classical variation.
- 3-5 minutes of barre work, incorporating both sides, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants.
- 3-5 minutes of centre work that includes adagio, pirouettes, petit and grand allegro, danced in pointe shoes by female applicants.
- CV: Your CV must include your height, weight, birthdate, nationality, contact information, contractual status, and details on training and professional experience.
- 2-3 Photos: Photos should reveal the dancer’s body proportions and line.
To learn more, please contact us via the link below.
To audition for ABT Studio Company’s 2022-2023 season, you must be between the ages of 17 and 20 years old on September 1, 2022 and have reached an advanced level of ballet training. Space in ABT Studio Company is extremely limited.
Video auditions are accepted on a rolling basis starting on October 1, 2021, and open auditions are to be determined. Other than submitting a video audition or attending an open audition, auditions are by invitation only.
Pre-Primary and Primary levels at the ABT JKO School require no prior dance experience. Placement in each level is based solely on student’s date of birth.
Auditions are required for students intending to enroll in Levels 1A through 3B of the ABT JKO School. These levels are for students ages seven to twelve with previous ballet training. Upon acceptance, students will be placed into the appropriate level by the Artistic Faculty.
Acceptance to the Pre-Professional Division of the ABT Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School is by audition only. Prospective students may audition by attending an open audition, select Summer Intensive auditions, submitting a video audition, or by attending an ABT Summer Intensive.
Auditions are open to all students who have achieved intermediate or advanced levels of ballet training. Young Dancer Summer Workshop applicants must be between 9 and 11 years old, or 12-year-olds at the beginning pointe level.
Auditions are open to all students who have achieved intermediate or advanced levels of ballet training. Applicants for all Summer Intensives must be at least 11 years old by their audition date and no older than 20.
Applicants over the age of 18 will be considered for the New York and Collegiate Intensives only.
Auditions are open to all students who have achieved intermediate or advanced levels of ballet training. Collegiate Summer Intensive applicants must be between the ages of 17 and 24.
Audition and enrollment information for the ABT William J. Gillespie School is available on the ABT Gillespie School website.
Acceptance into the program is by application and audition only. The audition is open to applicants for the NYU Master’s Program only and prospective students must have already attained an advanced level of ballet training. Audition registration is required.
ABT Incubator, a two-week choreographic program, provides a focused lab to generate and inspire ideas for the creation of new work.