Department: Education & Training
Last Revision: April 2022
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The ABT Summer Intensive Assistant will provide immediate support for the day-to-day operations for ABT’s Summer Intensive programming. They will interact heavily both in-person and virtually with students, faculty, accompanists, and prospective families. The Assistant must be able to work in-person and be onsite at American Ballet Theatre during all Summer Intensive programming, as they are responsible for opening and/or closing studios. The Assistant position requires a high level of professionalism, good instincts, confidentiality, positive energy, and a can-do attitude. Excellent written, interpersonal, problem-solving, and organizational skills are required.
- Assist the Summer Intensives Director in organizing and planning all aspects of ABT’s 30+ city Summer Intensive audition tour.
- Maintain audition tour databases and all paperwork for ABT’s New York, Collegiate and satellite Summer Intensive and Young Dancer programs.
- Answer student, parent or dance school calls, mail and e-mails regarding information about pre-registration, auditions, registration and general Summer Intensive program questions.
- Data processing of all students (4,500+) on the national audition tour and their audition results and enrollment.
- Monitor and process payments and maintain enrollment data for approximately 1,200 enrolled students.
- Assemble and distribute student handbooks, evaluations, and housing information to enrolled students.
- Monitor students in the National Training Scholar program and report their progress to the Summer Intensive Director and Artistic Director.
- Coordinate with Bursar to track tuition payments, account balances and scholarships for enrolled students.
- Provide general administrative assistance during the Collegiate and New York Summer Intensives and Young Dancer Summer Workshop, including creating weekly schedules, taking attendance, monitoring counselors and studios and managing the backstage area during studio rehearsals, tech rehearsals, and the final performance.
- Other duties as assigned by the Managing Director of Education and Artistic Director or Summer Intensives.
- Perform other duties as assigned
The ideal candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required; knowledge of PowerPoint, Salesforce a plus.
- Extremely organized, attentive to detail, and able to manage and prioritize multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writing skills, telephone manner and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work productively with artists, students, parents, and educators.
- Must be an adept problem solver and multi-tasker.
- Must act with discretion and respect confidentiality, in a customer service-oriented environment.
- Collaborative team player – energetic, enthusiastic, positive, and personable – with the ability to build relationships with stakeholders including staff, Board Members and their assistants, ED contacts, external partners and donors.
- Proven ability to interact clearly and effectively with a broad range of people.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and diplomacy is critical.
- A passion for and knowledge of the performing arts is a plus.
- Must be available onsite to work in-person
- Bachelor’s degree is required with and 1-2 years of professional experience.
- Previous administrative and communications experience with substantive responsibility preferred.
- Basic technology and business skills a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook.
- Ideal candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills and be interested in working with children.
- A background in ballet or the performing arts is preferred.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Director, ABT JKO School Pre-Professional Division and Summer Intensives
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Summer Intensive Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls or recruiters, please. We apologize in advance that we can only contact those candidates moving forward in the search.
American Ballet Theatre offers medical, dental, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to ABT performances and events, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
American Ballet Theatre is a fully-vaccinated company. Any individual submitting interest should be prepared to show proof of full vaccination and a booster shot at the time of position offered and accepted.
American Ballet Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed.