Department: Office of the Executive Director
Last Revision: January 2019
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Executive Assistant will provide administrative support to ABT’s Executive Director (ED). The person in this role will interact with Board members, administrative staff, dancers, donors and outside constituents, and act as a resource/liaison between these groups and ABT’s ED. The Executive Assistant position requires a high level of professionalism, good instincts, positive energy, and a can-do attitude. Due to the frequency of internal and external communication, the position also requires discretion with confidential information. Excellent written, interpersonal, problem-solving and organizational skills are required. Success will depend on the ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Manage the ED’s complex calendar of activities: schedule appointments, process correspondence, and arrange agendas and travel itineraries.
- Answer all phone calls and prioritize communications for ED.
- Act as a liaison for ED with staff, dancers, donors, and external parties.
- Provide Executive Office administrative support: complete expense reports, maintain and organize digital and physical files, and maintain office supply inventory.
- Assemble research and background materials in preparation for meetings and events.
- Ensure effective and efficient daily operations and meeting arrangements and creatively problem-solve any challenges that arise.
Manage ED preparations for Gala and other special events: invitations and follow-up, guest bios, event schedule, and welcoming guests.
- Schedule and manage logistics for all-staff meetings, bi-annual retreats, and cross- departmental meetings.
- Coordinate tickets and behind-the-scenes experiences for ED’s guests at ABT performances, events, and studio visits.
- Maintain records of current and future guest entertaining.
- Compose and prepare correspondence, polished materials, presentations, and ED meeting follow-up.
Board of Trustees Communication:
- Serve as a primary contact for members of ABT’s Board of Governing Trustees.
- Organize and manage logistics for various committee meetings.
- Hire and manage 1-2 interns per season with various office and hospitality responsibilities.
Executive Director’s Social Media:
- Assist ED with maintaining an effective social media presence to promote ABT including preparing regular social media posts.
Perform other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Collaborative team player – energetic, enthusiastic, positive and personable – with the ability to build relationships with stakeholders including staff, Board Members and their assistants, ED contacts, external partners and donors.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to multi-task with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong writing skills with excellent grammar.
- Must have tact, integrity, and exceptional judgment in complex situations.
- Proven ability to interact clearly and effectively with a broad range of people.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and diplomacy is critical.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- A passion for and knowledge of the performing arts is a plus.
- Previous administrative and communications experience with substantive responsibility preferred.
- Basic technology and business skills a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Office, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Primary Reporting Responsibility: Executive Director
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and résumé to [email protected]. Include in the subject line “Executive Assistant.” No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
American Ballet Theatre offers medical, dental, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to ABT performances and events, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
American Ballet Theatre is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status.
The job description above is intended to set forth the general nature of the work that will be expected of the person who takes on this role. The job description is not, however, meant to be construed as an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities required for this role. From time to time, all personnel may be required to perform duties outside their normal responsibilities as needed.